Monday, December 30, 2013

Wet Floor

“I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes.

Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're Doing Something.

So that's my wish for you, and all of us, and my wish for myself. Make New Mistakes. Make glorious, amazing mistakes. Make mistakes nobody's ever made before. Don't freeze, don't stop, don't worry that it isn't good enough, or it isn't perfect, whatever it is: art, or love, or work or family or life.

Whatever it is you're scared of doing, Do it.

Make your mistakes, next year and forever.”
 ― Neil Gaiman

So two more days to go before the year is done. But I've pretty much chalked 2013 as done and done. The two remaining days are holidays here and I'll probably work (and be hopefully drunk on the 31st) at home to submit my escalated deliverable. I'm hoping to finish it tomorrow so I'll just fake-work on the 31st. I mean, who wants to work while everybody's celebrating?

I've been looking at previous December posts and thinking of my past Decembers. And pretty much, these latest years have been the same. I'm not sure if I'm a fan of change, because my comfort zone is cozy enough for me, but there are times I appreciate a different routine. For some things I can willingly leave the zone, for other things I'll have to be dragged out tooth and nail.

I hope I'll have the courage to try. I know I'll make mistakes. But I hope I have the courage to push through despite failures staring me at the face...

Or else nothing new will come. And come next December, we still haven't learn our lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment